Three of the National Rifle Association’s top Junior Members have been selected to receive the 2011 NRA Outstanding Achievement Youth Award, recognizing their accomplishments in the community, the classroom, and the shooting sports. A total of $10,000 in award money is awarded to the winners from the NRA Foundation.
First place and $5,000: Benjamin Zimmerer of Gainseville, Texas
Second place and $3,000: Steven Hahn of Middle Grove, New York
Third place and $2,000: Olivia Cashman of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
Young people must meet the following seven core requirements of the Outstanting Achievement Youth Award:
- Be a current and valid NRA Junior Member or NRA Regular or Life Member; through December 31 of the calendar year in which their 21st birthday occurs.
- Be a current member of an NRA affiliated state association or club.
- Attend and complete one NRA Basic Firearm Training Course.
- Participate in the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program by earning a rating in one discipline.
- An essay of no more than 1,000 words – the subject of the essay is “What the Shooting Sports has Taught Me,” describing why you began to participate in the shooting sports, the lessons learned, and how you use these lessons in your everyday life.
- Three letters of reference – including one from your coach, and one from a teacher.
- A copy of your high school transcript.
They must also choose five additional elective requirements that involve participating in NRA programs such as the NRA Youth Hunter Education Challenge, NRA Competitive Shooting events, visiting the National Firearms Museum, and attending a Friends of NRA Banquet to name just a few.
Applications for next year’s Outstanding Achievement Youth Award are due to NRA Headquarters no later than May 1, 2012. For an application and more information on the Outstanding Achievement Youth Award, please contact NRA’s Youth Programs Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (703) 267-1505.
The winners will be present with their awards at the NRA Board of Directors Meeting later this month, so check for photos and profiles of each of our winners.